MDP’s Basic Industries team focuses on investment opportunities in a wide range of sectors, including:
- Packaging, paper, and forest products
- Building products, construction materials, and homebuilding
- Capital goods, equipment, and machinery
- Metals and mining, industrial minerals, and other natural resources
- Other manufacturing, distribution, and service industries
The sectors which comprise Basic Industries are often characterized by modest growth, cyclicality, and capital intensity. MDP’s long history of investing in sectors with these characteristics provides for a healthy respect for the risks of leverage. As a result, thorough credit analysis is fundamental to the investment thesis of every transaction. Rather than attempting to predict industry cycles, MDP seeks to create value by buying assets at prudent valuations, generating considerable debt reduction, and pursuing fundamental value creation initiatives, often including strategic mergers and/or acquisitions.